Friday, October 12, 2012

For the love of pumpkin

I was on a mission today: to find some pumpkin! The fall-like weather continued today (some places in NSW even had a little snow) and tomorrow is Saturday. So I really wanted to find some pumpkin so I could spend some time over the weekend making something like this or this.

Pumpkin as we know it does not exist here. "Pumpkin" is in a lot of dishes, but it always means squash. Canned pumpkin isn't sold in stores, so it takes a lot of doing to find.

I had a few leads on where to find pumpkin. My cousin who lives in Brisbane told me she found some in a candy store that sells American candy. So I looked around for a store like that close by. I found the website for one that listed a lot of American sweets. No pumpkin on their site, but they did have some "gourmet" items listed.

I always knew Goober had that gourmet taste
 

An American friend here told me that sometimes you can find pumpkin in the "American shelves" in the basement of David Jones. David Jones is a department store here, similar to Macy's or Nordstroms. There is one close to my work, so I decided to see what I could find on my lunch break.

And... score!!!

The American "section" at David Jones
Lucky for me, pumpkin was one of the 12 American items at David Jones!

I also swung by Coles and got some ingredients for baking some delicious pumpkin treats.

My finds of the day
By the way, lest we think it was too easy, here's how I should have been able to get to David Jones:

And here's the route I took after getting lost in the underground mall.

All in all though, a successful day, and I'm super excited to bake up something pumpkin-y tomorrow!

 

2 comments:

  1. LOL, so fun, I also had a lot of trouble finding pumpkin when I was in Beirut. It came out every once in a while so we had to go for a few weeks every time they got new stock, and when we found it we bought almost all the grocery store had, so funny. Also, I love that the American food includes poptarts and reeses cereal, omg is the photo from the grocery store? So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, isn't it funny that all the American foods are basically cavity-inducers? What do other countries think of our diets!? =)

    I love that you wiped out the grocery's stock of pumpkin every time! That's so funny!

    ReplyDelete