Sunday, October 28, 2012

A weekend with Megan - Saturday

My fabulous cousin Megan lives in Brisbane and came to see us this weekend! It was so great to see some family after a month of being here on our own. She graciously came for the whole weekend, even though we have only the bare necessities and put her up on the smallest Ikea couch-turned-bed you'll ever see!

I think we walked about a million miles this weekend and did about fifty things, so I'll try to capture each day so I remember everything. Also, I took many, many pictures, so I'm putting up separate posts for each day so they'll actually upload!

Too bad I already found a dress for the Melbourne Cup
Following a successful airport pickup via the trains on Friday night (yes, I'm very pleased with myself about that!), we kicked off the weekend with a pretty full Saturday. First up: a visit to the Kirribilli Markets right across the street from our apartment. It was pretty much a repeat of the market visit T and I did a couple weeks ago except that I found this gem!












Watsons Bay

Then we headed out on the ferry to Watsons Bay. This is where we went last weekend with Kath, but I loved it so much there that I wanted to explore around more. It was also a lovely, sunny day but not hot, so it was perfect for ferry-riding and coastline-exploring!














When we arrived at Watsons Bay, we headed up the coastline, just wandering through charming neighborhoods and walking in the general direction of where I thought a lighthouse was located.

Bonus bird in the pic!

Sydney city in the background

We eventually came across a national park walkway that had some amazing views...






There was also a nude beach on this route. The views there were less glamorous. =\


We found the lighthouse and I decided it was one of the cutest lighthouses I've ever seen!

The second oldest lighthouse in Sydney, and it's still in operation
We grabbed a bite to eat in one of the little cafes and then walked up to the overlook that runs along the cliffs on one side of the town.

View of the cliffs. We walked to the top of the cliff in this picture.
Our intrepid visitor
View from the top of the cliff of the town of Watsons Bay
There was a race going on that we could see from the top of the cliffs
Then we caught the ferry and headed back to the city.


Opera House & The Rocks

When we got back to land, Megan and I decided we were up for some more touring, but T was done for awhile. He headed home and Megan and I walked over to the Opera House to snap some pics.

I could probably come here every weekend and still be in awe of how amazing this view is
Unfortunately, as we were walking around, a big gust of wind came and took the hat off my head, blew it about 30 feet in the air, and plopped it into the bay. Nooooooo!

Bon voyage, hat =(
Then Megan and hat-less I walked over to The Rocks to check out the Saturday markets. It was really fun to do some browsing with a girl shopping companion. Toby always makes a valiant effort when I'm shopping, but it's just not the same!

Tapas & Wine

After cleaning up and refreshing with some cocktails (thank you for the duty-free alcohol, Megan!!!), we walked over to McMahons Point and had dinner at a little tapas restaurant. My aunt told Megan to treat us to dinner on her, which was really, really nice. (Thank you, Aunt Kaye!) We tried to repay the favor by capturing a picture of our server who had his shirt unbuttoned to a ridiculously low button, which showed off his cleanly waxed chest. It was quite impressive.

You're welcome!
We had a bottle of wine and ordered a few tapas to share. The highlight was probably the haloumi cheese, which is much more popular and easier to find over here. We love this cheese, and it was so good with our meal!

It was a lovely dinner and a perfect end to our fun-packed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment