Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Family goodbyes

It's on the official calendar!
This past Saturday was a bittersweet day. I got to see a lot of extended family at a going-away cookout Grandpa & Grandma held for us.

The seeing family part of the evening was wonderful! The sad part came at the end of the evening when we had to say goodbye to everyone. We decided it was better to say "see you later," which made me feel better.

 

 

 

Grandpa wore his Australia hat while he manned the grill.

The official hat of Australian travelers
We did a lot of hanging out on the patio while we chatted and ate. The kids played in the yard while the adults caught up with each other. There are always kids around, but these days the adults outnumber the kids. I have so many memories of hundreds of times just like this, so it was a perfect way to say goodbye to family.


Lots of hanging out
Later, after it got cooler, we moved inside. Grandma got out her photo album of the pictures from when they went to Australia. We looked at maps (and everyone remembered how BIG Australia is), we talked about the things they had seen on their trip, and then we started talking about the kind of money they use there. Grandma got out the money from all their past trips and we had fun looking at all of it.

Looking at money
With a combination of Internet and memory, we figured out the Australian five dollar bill and some various coins. Grandma, who always takes pity on Toby for living with a Scrooge like me, gave all the money to Toby as his seed money for a new TV. Needless to say, he was pretty happy about this!

Dreaming of TVs to come
I love how adventures and experiences are cycling through the generations!

 

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome that your grandma had Australian money, and SO CUTE that she gave it to Toby for his TV fund.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It made me laugh and it was so special at the same time. =)

      Delete
  2. After looking into a handful of the articles on your web page,
    I really appreciate your technique of blogging. I book-marked
    it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back in the near future.
    Please visit my website too and tell me what you think.



    Also visit my web site :: binary options brokers

    ReplyDelete