Friday, November 8, 2013

Stopping the nation.... For a race

Tuesday was Melbourne Cup day! And even though we didn't get the day off like the state of Victoria does, it was still a pretty great day!

We went out on the Starship Sydney boat again this year. This is the big party of the year for the Sydney office (instead of a Christmas party, etc). So it was to be expected that everything would be fabulous. And it was!!

First things first, though, I have to announce that Toby and I are getting really good at Australian fashion. Toby took the prize for best dressed male at the Avon office with his clever re-use of my fascinator from last year.

Doesn't he look dashing?
And I won "best fascinator" at my party!


I was pretty proud of this win since I made my fascinator. I also had a little touch of family in mine: the brooch in the center was passed down from my great grandmother and was some of her costume jewelry.

Here's the finished product:


Toby won a bottle of champagne for his big win, and I got a gift card to go to the "fancy" movies here (where you get to go to a lounge before the show - something I would never pay for otherwise!)
Unfortunately, our luck didn't extend to our sweeps (bets). Toby's $5 unfortunately netted him nothing, and my free $1 party sweep didn't make our fortunes either.

Nonetheless, it was still a fabulous party on my side. The theme was green and gold, and the boat looked lovely.



There was also a photo booth on the boat, so there are some pictures that I'm actually in!







If this looks like a super fun party, it was. In fact, the next morning, there was this in the kitchen...


And that's how you celebrate Melbourne Cup! =)

1 comment:

  1. Well done on the fascinator! That is so awesome and you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete