Friday, November 2, 2012

Halloween celebrating

Since we were on the go all last weekend with Megan, we celebrated Halloween this weekend. There was no way we could let the holiday pass us by since it's Toby's favorite holiday!

Australia doesn't really celebrate Halloween, at least nowhere as much as we do in the U.S. Last weekend there were a few events for kids around the city and some neighborhoods did trick or treating, but it was nowhere close to the scale of the way we celebrate.

For our Saturday Halloween, we planned some fun snacks and Toby lined up some good Halloween shows to watch. And of course, Toby came up with a costume for the day (two, actually!).

Decorations & costumes

I got into the spirit of the holiday by adding some Halloween touches to the apartment.

Bats (of course!)
Toby got into the spirit by putting together TWO costumes, even though we have the bare minimum here with us. That is talent!

The first costume was Ellis, a character from a zombie video game. This costume had the added bonus of allowing him to shoot the nerf gun all day long.

Ellis
His other, really hot & uncomfortable costume was of a Hogwarts student. I had him give me his best Toby-at-Hogwarts poses.

We laughed a lot at these pictures
This is how it's done, Australia!

Snacks

I love making themed-food, so I'd been pinning fun Halloween ideas for a while.

One cute idea I found was to make a cheese ball that looks like a pumpkin. You use cheddar cheese and red pepper on the outside of the ball to make the jack o' lantern look. I had to improvise a little bit with this one because the cheddar cheese here is not yellow - it's kept as its natural white color. So I picked up an orange-colored red pepper dip and mixed it with some cheese until I got the color I wanted.

Jack o' Lantern cheese ball
My next venture was a little less successful. I was trying to make ghosts that looked like these. I had a few challenges with this one: I couldn't find Oreos or Oreo-like cookies at the store I went to. So I ended up using some cookies that are like thin mints. I also didn't have a food processor to make the crumbs, so I tried to chop them up as finely as I could by hand. They definitely didn't turn out as cute as the ones I pinned, but they were tasty anyway!

"Ghost" truffles
To get some veggies in, I made a 7-layer dip for dinner, spiderweb style.

An afternoon walk

So we didn't turn into total heart attack blobs, we went out for a walk up through some of the neighborhoods in North Sydney and up along the foreshore. It was a little cool and overcast, so perfect for rambling.

View from McMahons Point Rreserve
Fisherman on the foreshore
These are our Halloween faces
Some "normal" faces
Cute apartments in McMahons Point
 

4 comments:

  1. So the pictures of you and Toby were aligned perfectly in my Google Reader so that I could page up and page down to switch between the two really fast. That entertained me for a solid minute.

    Not even kidding.

    Glad you guys got to celebrate! It was pretty lackluster here, thanks to the weather. (There was a storm today--with hail! In November!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, if only I could say that was on purpose! But I can definitely see the entertainment value there.

      Delete
  2. you and toby are the cutest and i love you. xo

    ReplyDelete