Thursday, November 29, 2012

Surfin'

It's official, I'm a true Aussie now - I've been surfing!

This week at work we had a release party for a project that I helped on a little bit. So I got invited to go! The party was surfing lessons at Bondi Beach, which is one of the iconic Sydney Beaches.

Of course, having never been surfing before, I was pretty nervous and didn't know what to expect. Luckily, we went out in the middle of a weekday and the waves were really small, so it wasn't as intimidating as I thought it would be.

We almost didn't get to go because the day before red algae bloomed at the beach and it was closed. It looked pretty creepy.

Luckily, though, it cleared up, the beach reopened, and away we went!

Our surfing instructor was everything I thought he would be!

That's him in the doorway
Then I signed my life away, including not holding the surfing company liable in case I was bitten by a shark or stung by a jellyfish and died.


We had a little bit of time before surf time, so we explored some of the tidal pools.


Then it was surf time! I don't have any pictures of that, since I was obviously in the ocean. But it was a blast! Most of my attempts ended in big falls, but I did OK a couple times. And toward the end of our hour, I did ride one wave all the way into the beach! I had a ton of fun even though I didn't really excel at surfing. It was also a great way to hang out with work people and have some good times.

Here I am at the end of the day, surfer Christine.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hee!! It's certainly iconic! But I'm not sure I'll become a surfer for life. Too much salt water. =)

      Delete
  2. Damn should have gone, looked like a blast regardless of the crappy weather that day - next time hopefully!

    ReplyDelete