Monday, October 28, 2013

Free day at the Barracks Museum

On Saturday, Sydney was promoting "Garage Sale Trail" day, which was basically like a city-wide day to have yard sales. For some reason, the city used the Hyde Park Barracks Museum as a public space for some yard sale stalls, and in conjunction with that, there was free entry to the museum. Honestly, I couldn't make the connection between the two, but that didn't stop me from going for a free museum day!

I was a little late going because we went to the Kirribilli Markets first where Toby struck his classic market pose.


We had a bite of lunch there, and then I headed across the bridge to the museum.

I ended up being a little too late to get the see all the yard sale stalls in the area around the museum - most of them were packing up when I arrived. But that was ok!

I actually forgot to take a picture of the outside, mainly because I see this building all the time. It's a really pretty tan brick building and it has a lot of historical significance in Sydney. It was originally built to house male convicts that were transported to serve their sentence in Sydney.

I found My favorite kind of sign inside:


This is a snap of the original cornerstone. Amazing it has survived all these years (since the early 1800s)!


One room was full of replica hammocks to show how many people would live in the space. It was a lot!




It was a great day at the museum!

No comments:

Post a Comment