Sunday, July 7, 2013

An Aussie movie & food night

A friend from work hosted me, an expat from Spain, and a couple newly arrived from Perth, Australia for an Australian-movie viewing night. My friend, Helen, felt she needed to demonstrate that there were good Australian movies out there. This came about because the Spanish expat had watched an Australian movie called "He died with a falafel in his hand" and declared it to be not very good. So the goal of the night was to win him (and everyone) over with Strictly Ballroom.

We all had to bring some Australian food for the evening. I made dips out of the things that Australians seem to put in everything: sweet potato and beetroot. The sweet potato dip turned out pretty good. I hated the beetroot dip, but everyone said it tasted just like it should and was good. And of course I brought TimTams!

We ended up with quite a feast!

In addition to the things I brought, there were also sausage rolls, quinoa bites, Australia olive oil & bread, and potato salad.

There was also pavlova for dessert. I didn't like pavlova the first time I had it, but I really liked this one! It was topped with strawberries, kiwi, and passion fruit. Yum!

After the movie, we happened to see the last few minute of an AFL game (Australian Football League). This added a bonus touch of Australia to the night. AND I got a head start on learning the rules, which is a good thing because we're going to a game in a few weeks!!

Anyway, it was a super fun, funny, educational night.

 

3 comments:

  1. That pavlova minus the passion fruit looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is this pavlova of which you speak? I'm going to have to investigate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like pavlova now that I think about it. It's like a giant meringue topped with whipped cream and fruit. And the edges were all crumbly and melt-in-the-mouthy. I'm going to try and make one while Holly is here; I'll let you know how it turns out!

      Delete