Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Toby's birthday weekend redux

I was really sick on Toby's actual birthday last month, so we planned this weekend as a makeup birthday. Basically on his birthday, Toby likes to stay inside, play games, and make fun snacks. So that's what we did.


But I also made us go out for a little bit of fresh air. Here's how Toby felt about that.


We took the train up a few stops and walked around an area called Crows Nest. And we both had fun, no matter what Toby's face might imply.

We found this place!


We didn't eat here because we were pretty dubious about the New Orleans-ness of the food. The menu did claim they serve po' boys and jambalaya, but the rest of the New Orleans food was things like Mac & cheese and nachos. We might have to check it out some time...

We walked around for a while and had fun checking out restaurants and fun little shops.


The other highlight of my weekend was this:


My lovely co-worker Susan had surprised me with these macarons on Friday after a really hectic week at work! It was so sweet and it not only made my Friday, but my whole weekend! Yum!

4 comments:

  1. Those macroons look devine....i am going to master making them before i die. Those look pretty fancy and french. Trader Joes sells some that don't look as pretty but still pretty darn yummie and don't cost the equivalent of one month's mortgage. Your friend Susan is a good lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! And maybe you can master making them before we get back? That would be most convenient to have a new macaron supply! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Don't know why, but, despite some varying amounts of substance abuse, I have not been sick a single day in the last 4-5 years. I really cannot remember the last time I was sick at all -- cold, flu, whatever. (I do get flu shots every year -- last year, my wife gave it to me :->)
    So, stop getting sick!
    I do: drink a lot of alcohol, and prolly 3x that amount of water, every day. Exercise like crazy, 12 hrs/week or so. Eat as wide a variety of everything I can. I had a veggie mix last week on the grill w 9 veggies (shitakes, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, 4 peppers, and cherry tomatoes from my garden), plus salmon, mahi-mahi, filet mignon, thick pork chops, or baby back ribs. Or, tonight, we had absolutely delicious swordfish steaks, cooked on high heat, basted w melted margin, garlic powder, onion salt, black pepper, old bay (mostly celery salt I think), cumin and just a hint of tumeric.
    I am so convinced, it's all about eating as many different things you can. The more things you eat, the healthier you are.
    Oops, sorry, the attendants are telling me its time for my nap!

    All my best wishes, still enjoying your adventures greatly!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your veggie regimen! My theory about getting sick all the time is that I'm taking public transport and am smashed up against sick people a lot. So hopefully now that summer is here I won't be crammed on a train full of germs as often!

      BTW, you should add some cooking/food discussions to your blog! Your creations sound delicious!

      Delete