Friday, September 13, 2013

Fathers Day Harbour Hike

For some reason, Fathers Day is celebrated on the first Sunday in September in Australia. I don't know why it's different, but I wished my dad a happy Australian Fathers Day all the same.

The first Sunday in September was also a fundraising hike along the north foreshore of the harbour. It was 12 kilometers, which is about 7 1/2 miles, so that was a perfect hike length for a Sunday morning. I gathered up a few of the expats I know here (people who wouldn't be hanging out with their dads that day), and we went hiking!


The hike started right under the Harbour Bridge on our side, which was pretty exciting. Most events are in more happening places, but I only had to walk 5 minutes to get there!

The hike went along the northern edge of the harbour. I'd walked through some of the areas before, but a lot of them were new to me.

The path went by a few inlets where fabulous people keep their boats.



And by the places where the fabulous people live.


It definitely felt like spring outside. And it looked like it too!



This little kookaburra was hanging out watching the hikers.


A lot of the hike was through parks and trails with not much around. But occasionally there would be some neighborhoods or business areas. A cafe decided to take advantage of the event. At about halfway through the hike, they seemed to be doing a brisk business!


There was plenty to see along the walk. The kookaburra and the sights of the harbour were my favorites.



There was a festival at the end of the hike, and a ferry to take us back to the city. Yay for a sunny Sunday hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment