Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Dreaming of a white Chrissy

I can't believe that Christmas is a week away! The past few months have flown by - it doesn't seem real that we've been living in Australia for three months!

It's also hard to believe it's Christmas because it doesn't feel like Christmas here. At all! The weather has been absolutely amazing except for a few extremely hot or cold days. But nothing about a breezy day in the low 80's says Christmas to me!

My un-Christmas spirit is not for lack of Australia trying, though. There are signs of the holidays all over! Lots of Christmas trees...

Christmas tree in Martin Place - right across from the office
Christmas tree in the Strand Arcade
Outdoor tree in Pyrmont Bay (plus a dangling Santa!)
Tree outside St Mary's Cathedral
The bottom of the Swarovski Christmas tree in the Queen Victoria Building
One huge nativity scene outside St. Mary's Cathedral...


Lots of Santa decorations...

A Santa light post?
Santa on a boat in Pyrmont Bay
And on a lighthouse....
And of course, a Santa crab at the aquarium
All of the shops have beautiful decorations up too.

The Strand Arcade
Lights in the Queen Victoria Buiilding
One of my favorite signs of the season here is the random musicians and bands that pop up everywhere playing Christmas music! It just puts a smile on my face to hear a carol in a place where I least expect it.

This band squished into a corner in the train station - typically the saddest place around, but people were smiling and dancing to the music
These kids were playing in a park near the office, so I could hear them all morning while I worked
And even though it seems really strange to have snow-themed decorations up in the middle of summer, it doesn't seem to stop anyone!

Snowflake decorations in the Met Centre
Samsung is OK with snow too...
Not exactly sure what's going on here...
This is a snowman made out of Legos at the David Jones department store
Maybe the most extreme of all...
Of course, the surest indication of the holiday season is the length of the line at the post office.


We tried to bring some Christmas cheer to our apartment too. A Saturday trip to Ikea netted us some good decorations.

Crackers are big here, so I bought us a pack. I've never done them before, so I'm excited to give them a go on Christmas Day!


I also did some Christmas cookie baking, just to get us in the spirit!


So we have many ingredients for a happy Christmas next week. All we'll need is some Skyping with family & friends, and we'll be set!

2 comments:

  1. Your baking looks delicious! Mine this year was very hit or miss. I blame pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was pretty pleased with how everything turned out! Although, I have to say, it's not as pleasant doing baking in an 80-degree kitchen in the middle of the summer!

      Michelle said you made great pizzas last night! That sounds sooo good!

      xoxo

      Delete