Saturday, July 12, 2014

22 months and still strange...

We're coming up on two years in Sydney. Most of the time, Sydney feels like home. We have got the public transportation system down, we have some circles of friends, and things like going to the grocery store or driving aren't scary adventures anymore.

But every little bit, something will happen that reminds us that we are still living in a strange place. This past week was a good example, with three separate incidents that left me scratching my head. Usually these incidents stem from Aussie slang, which is often impossible to decipher, even if it's in context. This week was no exception.

First was running into some people from work while I was out at the markets. I started chatting to a friend and asked him what he was up to. He said "We've been out op shopping at the Salvos at Tempe." Now, if I'd seen that written down, I probably could have interpreted it. But having it come out in a fast, accented stream during the conversation, I was absolutely baffled. It made me feel stupid, but I asked him to repeat what he'd said more slowly so I could understand (something that I have to do occasionally, even though everyone is speaking English). After a couple of exchanges, I understood that he'd been to the suburb Tempe, where he'd gone to the Salvation Army for secondhand shopping (op shopping). Not such a leap once you know, but hard to catch on the first go!

The other slang-related incident happened at a meeting at work. We were discussing some issue that had come up, and one of the Aussie born and bred attendees said "Well that sounds like a bit of a furphy." Since about half of the people in the office are expats, there were enough puzzled faces that he looked up the wikipedia entry to explain what he meant. It turns out that "furphy" means an erroneous or not-quite-right statement. It comes from the name that was written on water carts that were pulled out to soldiers in Australia during World War I. The soldiers would gather around them and share gossip - which often turned out to be incorrect - and hence the word "furphy" came about. How obscure is that!? We non-Australians really don't stand a chance!

The last thing that happened this week was learning to boil water in an electric water kettle. The hot water tap near my desk is temporarily out, and since Australians really can't be expected to work without their tea, they've replaced it with a temporary water kettle that plugs into the wall. Having never seen or used such a contraption, I got one of my Aussie co-workers to walk me through how it works (basically you fill it up like an iron and then push a button) and the common courtesy for using it (you look around for other tea drinkers and add additional water based on how many don't already have tea). He found it pretty humorous that an American didn't understand such a basic societal behavior. But he was nice in instructing me. And it's one more thing about living here that I am mastering!

4 comments:

  1. The electric tea pot is a must. We have one on our counter, perhaps you'd never noticed it but a tea drinker worth her strips wouldn't be caught dead without one. By the way did you ever get to watch that Australian show A Moody Christmas? Very funny show only 6 or 8 episode and Sam and i both laughed out loud each time we watched one. Highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have had you train me on the art of making tea with a water kettle before we left! =)

      And we started watching that show at Christmas last year, but then decided it wasn't making us feel very Christmas-y. I think now is a perfect time to go back and rewatch it. Thank you for reminding me about it!!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Two years?! Holy crap!

    I have the same issues with the Brits. There are constant words that I have no idea what means.

    We also had an electric tea kettle. I switched to an electric one when I learned that they saved money compared to a stove top tea kettle =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame the Brits for all these things that I can't follow!

      Delete