Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Last day in Gdansk

My last day in Gdansk was gloriously sunny and bright! So on my walk to work, I celebrated by buying a pastry from this... trailer, I suppose you'd call it? It was delicious and just the thing for my walking commute!


I had a good last day in the office. I'm really going to miss working with that team in person. They are probably happy to be able to get back to Polish-only conversations, though!

To close out the day, I went back out to Old Town for one last walk around and dinner. I hadn't yet had pierogi, and I felt like it wasn't acceptable to leave the country that way. So I went in search of a restaurant where I could eat a vegetarian pierogi.

In Old Town, the restaurants seem to do this thing where they send some poor staff member outside to try and convince people to eat there. It's usually a younger person and they say something to every person that walks by. (I assume they're saying how great the food is, but I have not a clue!) It amused me to contrast this with Sydney where servers generally look at you like you're keeping them from some important business elsewhere.

Anyway, I found a vegetarian pierogi on the menu outside this cute little restaurant, when the sidewalk hawker came up to me and told me he'd give me a 20% discount if I ate there. Well, the Burwinkle in me couldn't resist that, and I looked no further!


Pierogi mission accomplished!


Although I'm not a big potato fan, I was cold and hungry, so it tasted pretty great!
I had a great window seat looking out into the main street of Old Town.


I was having such a good time, I ordered apple pie so I had an excuse to stay longer.

I was feeling pretty Polish by now!

By the time I paid for my 20% discounted dinner, it was dark enough that the street lights were coming on. And it was beautiful!


It was the perfect way to end my Gdansk adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment