Saturday, February 2, 2013

Macarons!

Macarons are really, really popular here. You see them all over the place in bakeries, cafes, and coffee shops. There are even stores that sell just macarons. I've seen them in flavors I have never even imagined for cookies, like marshmallow, passion fruit, and lavendar. I've only bought them once (when Megan was here) because they're pretty expensive - at least the good ones are!

A couple months ago, I bought a Living Social deal to a cooking school here in Sydney. The deal got us a two-hour demonstration and...the best part.... tastings! A friend was going to go with me on Saturday, but she was sick. So T stepped up and went with me, like the great sport he is.
The cooking school didn't look like much from the outside.

Hmmm
And I had my doubts about the chef when I saw him.

He did look a little more legitimate once he got his hat on.

Chef pants would have been better
Most of the time we spent watching the chef put together five kinds of macarons while describing the differences in them and the correct methods for creating macarons.
There was a little bit of hands-on time though, where we got to pipe the batter onto the sheets.
T did a good job


My favorite aspect of the class was getting to try each of the kinds of macarons. The chef had prepared some in advance the day before, since some of the macarons have to stand for a couple hours before they can even go in the oven.


T liked that part too

AND we got to take home a little container of the macarons we learned about.
Which is good, because I don't think I'll be investing in the time or equipment it takes to make them myself! It was a really fun class, though, and a good way to spend a cold, rainy afternoon.

8 comments:

  1. One of the highlights was when the chef clonked his assistant in the head with a tray of unbaked macarons. The assistant was trying to slip past the chef without announcing his presence (major restaurant no-no). When the chef turned, the assistant caught a tray in the temple and banged his head against the wall. He then had a slow motion temper explosion that ended with him flinging his gloves in a back sink and slamming a door as he stormed out.

    I sure miss restaurant work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine! Don't leave out the best part!?! So glad Toby saved the day with this little gem of a comment! :)

      Delete
    2. LOL, OK. Lesson learned. I thought I couldn't properly capture the awkwardness of the moment without re-enacting it, but Toby did a good job. =)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had dinner (dessert) and a show! Someone getting clocked in the head is always worth including in a blog entry. I absolute love love love macarons and have attempted to make then on one occasion with zero success, but i think i will try again. My neighbor made them for a halloween party and hers were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our pretentious chef told us that we "regular people" basically had no hope of ever successfully making macarons without many, many trials (and most ideally, under his supervision in a cooking class). But I think if any normal, non-French people can do it, you can!

      And thanks re: the hair! =)

      Delete
  3. Also you look adorable with your hair in a bun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should follow the blog Bravetart. She pooh-poohs the idea that macarons are that hard to make for "regular" people: http://bravetart.com/recipes/Macarons

    She's also a pastry chef at Table 310, a restaurant here in Lexington, which is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I won't let any old cranky chef crush my dreams! =)

      Hope you're doing well. You're on the final countdown now!

      Delete