Sunday, June 15, 2014

Gurangai Festival

On Saturday there was a festival combined with a market in North Sydney: the ultimate combination for me! The market is a weekly food/craft/farmer's market, and the festival was the Gurangai Festival. It's a yearly festival that's meant to raise awareness of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people that originally lived in the area. The festival actually goes on for a month with different events, but I thought it would be nice to check it out along with the market. So off I went!

The market is held in a parking garage, which is good for rainy days but makes everything really dark.

There were some of the usual things like antiques:

But also some very Gurangai-specific things, like this bush tucker vendor:

Everything on the menu made me feel very sad but it was interesting!

There was also a basket-weaving class, but I had just missed the beginning so I didn't go join in. But besides those things and a couple art displays, I have to say that I was a little disappointed at how generic the festival-market was. Maybe I need to go try one of the other festival events! =)

On the bright side, I did get some great produce from this guy selling stuff off his truck!

And it was also gummy bear giveaway day!

 

Who can complain about a day like that!?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment