Sunday, May 5, 2013

Autumn weekend fun

Our weekend went by super fast, but that doesn't mean it wasn't great!

Saturday

Toby and I had the kind of Saturday that I envision Europeans having every day. It might have helped that I was wearing some new navy skinny slacks that made me feel like a chic Sydneysider. Anyway, we started our day with a ferry ride over to Balmain for brunch. Admittedly, we were going to brunch using a Groupon voucher I'd bought, which seems decidedly un-European. But eating out in Sydney without some kind of deal or coupon is soul-crushingly expensive for a Burwinkle.

Anyway, as we walked into town, we talked about the architecture of the houses, the tile roofs, the embellishments on the cornices, and just how much personality the buildings have here. We also decided that it would be rare for us to think of American suburbs as beautiful.

We ate brunch in the garden of a cafe in a little house. It started out as a cool morning but warmed up enough so that it was a perfect day for a garden breakfast.

The rest of the day passed with a trip to the market, cooking, drinking wine and reading with the door open and the autumn air blowing in. If only I was drinking coffee and walking a tiny dog around, my European day would have been perfect!


Sunday

Sunday was a fast day - we spent the morning skyping and then preparing to go out to a birthday party. The party was for an American friend, so we met several other Americans, which was nice. There were also quite a few Australians there; the Cajun-themed food was a huge hit with them! I heard one of them say excitedly when he was dishing up the jambalaya: "There's prawns and sausages in the same dish!"

Oh southern comfort food, I didn't even know how much I've missed you
I made some southern food to complement the Cajun. I had gone by David Jones and picked up some Jiffy mix in the American food section. So I made cornbread pudding, even though the mix had traveled halfway around the world and showed it.


Of course, I also had to make a Derby pie. It was the first year in a long time that I hadn't watched the derby. But at least there was pie!

All-in-all, it was a great weekend! Oh yeah, did I mention we also saw these guys waiting for their humans where we were in Balmain?


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the perfect weekend. You can't mention new navy skinny pants without showing a photo:) It will be a long time before i can squeeze into anything resembling skinning pants:)

    ReplyDelete