Sunday, April 26, 2015

Anzac Day Parade

Things have been very quiet in Sydney the past week or so. That's because T has been in the U.S. visiting his mom and family. And I've been taking advantage of the quiet to get ready for my own trip back in just a couple weeks!

I did go out on Saturday of the weekend, though, to see the Anzac Parade in the CBD. This is a big Anzac Day because it's the 100 year anniversary of a particularly brutal battle for Australian forces in World War I. One thing that I love about Australians is their unwavering commitment to honor their vets. In Martin Place across from my office, there are memorial services often, and it's amazing how many people show up in the rain or early in the mornings for it.

Anzac Day is the biggest memorial event of the year. The city center shut down for the parade. The parade goes on for over an hour, and people line the streets and cheer for the entire time.

I was behind a lot of people, but I could see a little bit - usually when I took a picture holding my phone up high and then looking at it.

There was also some flyovers during the parade, which were pretty cool.

The parade was an amazing tribute to the Aussie spirit of patriotism, and I headed home feeling both the gravity and the celebrative spirit of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment